Leaders establish the culture in the workplace. Does your workplace have a culture of health? Can your employees get healthy food at work? Is it easy for employees to be physically active? The first place to start is to get a list of things your workplace can do to have a healthy culture. Here are a list of questions to ask in order to ensure you have integrated fitness into your company culture.
Physical Activity Environment
- Does your workplace have stairs, and if so, a sign encourage employees to take the stairs?
- Do you encourage your employees to walk or ride a bicycle to work?
- Do you have fitness equipment or classes at your workplace?
- Do you provide fitness center discounts for employees who exercise away from work?
- Do you support employee physical activity by allowing workers to take walking breaks, to do pre-heavy-labor stretching, or take additional time off during lunch to exercise?
- Do you encourage employees to get adequate exercise at work as part of their job?
- Does your company sponsor sports teams for employees?
- Have you mapped out any paths or trails near your workplace on which employees could walk during breaks, lunch or after work?
- Has your workplace ever organized a fun run or fun walk?
- Does your workplace provide any health information (web, brochures, posters, etc) about physical activity or exercise messages to employees?
- Are healthy food alternatives such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains breads, and healthy beverages available?
- Do your food providers use healthy food preparation practices in the cafeteria (steaming, low-fat/salt substitutes, limited frying)?
- Do you have healthy food options available in your vending machines on site?
- Do employees have access to a microwave at work?
- Do employees have access to a refrigerator at work?
- Does your workplace provide healthy eating messages to employees, such as posters or brochures?
- Does your workplace provide any health information (web, brochures, posters, etc) about nutrition to employees?
Company Wellness Policy
- Do you have a wellness committee?
- Do you allow health promotion programs to be provided during company time?
- Do you have goals and objectives for your wellness program?
For ideas about where to start CLICK HERE to read the article: 6 Ways Leaders Can Support Employee Wellness.